Scents of my life

When I was studying culinary arts, I was once told how strong my sense of taste is. And since about 80% of what we perceive as taste comes from smell, I therefore conclude that my nose is of superb quality. Har har.

Okay, seriously now. Actually, my sense of smell doesn't only give me the pleasure of gobbling up my favorite dishes, it is
also what helps me remember things I would have forgotten already due to the amount of anesthesia I was administered years ago. As far as I can recall, I've been associating moments in my life to the different scents I've been encountering during those particular times. I'd like to go over all of those scents but that would be impossible. So I'd just share some.

  1. Garnier Light face cream with SPF 15. This was what I used as my facial sunblock when my friends and I went to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur last year. I stopped using it in December to try another product. But just last week, I decided to use it again. After applying it, I felt a faint smile on my face. I suddenly remembered walking in KL, looking for a place to have breakfast, with only MYR10 (loaned to me by Ramie) in my pocket. And then other things went "showing up" -- the internet shops, me asking Jane to send me prepaid cellphone load, the Petronas, me getting lost, and a whole lot more.
  2. Gap Dream. I received this back in college as a gift from a friend. During that time, I was already addicted to the internet. I remember going to an "eyeball" (eeew) with a group from the defunct www.gandagwapo.com. Crazy things you do in life, eh?
  3. Ralph Lauren's Romance. The first EDT I ever bought for myself. Whenever I smell it from someone, I remember my friends Diego and Bogart and all our lakads - Starbucks after office, yosi, yosi, yosi.
  4. Sinigang na bangus sa bayabas. My nanay used to cook this dish a lot when my siblings and I were growing up. This reminds me of lazy weekends with the family. Come to think of it, we were a happy family. I miss all of them.
  5. Ralph Lauren's Safari. Reminds me of a good friend. At least someone who used to be. Unfortunately, he turned into a fucking asshole. Some scents do remind me of bad times.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of other scents that remind me of some things. But right now, my memory is malfunctioning. I'll probably have to go back to this list every once in a while to update it.

0 made some churva :: Scents of my life

Post a Comment